blurp | Science, Art, Life

Friday, November 23, 2007

Tattle

Another Thanksgiving story...

My husband's family does the traditional around-the-table-hand-holding while they pray thing. I hold hands with them but I don't bow my head or shut my eyes. This year, my 5-year-old niece peaked open her eyes to surreptitiously look around and I winked at her, she could barely hold in her incredulity until the end of the prayer, then she screamed, "Aunty had her eyes open!" I suspect she expected a unified gasp from the family or something - but everyone just kinda shrugged their shoulders and started passing food. I wonder if little interactions like this will help her to think about religion differently? Part of me hopes it will loosen the ropes a tiny bit.

I hope to be a good example of someone living without religion for both my nieces. I hope that they don't grow up hating or fearing atheists and that they have a religious escape route if they need it. Its a fine line to walk - I want to respect my sister and sister-in-law and their choices as parents. I wouldn't want them trying to convert my children (if I had any) but I also wouldn't mind them just showing my kids how they live.

2 Comments:

Blogger tina FCD said...

Kids will tattle on anybody.

28 November, 2007  
Blogger mnainfochair@gmail.com said...

She evidentally didn't realize she was admitting her own guilt by pointing the finger at you...
Maybe she was planning on making a play for the gravy and you busted her so she tried to turn the tables.

19 March, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home