blurp | Science, Art, Life

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

35 dub

I-35W collapsed today into the Mississippi River. Crazy. Unbelievable.


Photo from the BBC website


Heres a link to some sobering photos from the Star Tribune: (you'll have to log in, but its worth it if you want to see)

I was on the light rail on the way to a Twins game when the crowd in the train started murmuring and staring out the window. I saw smoke but thought it was just a bad accident but then someone said the bridge had collapsed. I thought just a little hunk must have fell into the river; the bridge was under construction. But then I got several frantic calls from friends and family asking if I was OK, they heard the news, they'd been trying for hours to get a hold of me but the lines were down. Then I figured it out: the entire bridge fell into the Mississippi River. Wow.

I guess this changes my weekend plans. I was going to paddle under that bridge in a canoe as part of the Friends of the Mississippi River 22-mile Canoe Challenge.

I guess this changes my whole life actually. My work is dedicated to that section of the Mississippi River, I live just downstream of that stretch of the River, I center my recreational activities around canoeing, biking, running, and hiking along that stretch of the river. That's why I choose to live in the Minneapolis. hmmmm.

They've been saying it will takes years to rebuild, they have no idea why it collapsed (but that we shouldn't suspect terrorism), and that they expect to find lots of dead bodies tomorrow.

It is the top news story on the BBC: Seven Dead as US Bridge Collapses

A schematic from the Star Tribune

The whole Star Trib article

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed that you signed zeolite.
I am involved in the zeolite business -- just wondering about the connection to a bridge collapse

W. Kent Clarke Jr
kentclarkejr@aol.com

03 August, 2007  
Blogger Zeolite said...

Are you referring to the use of synthetic zeolite minerals as additives in concrete? Because thats the only connection I can think of between zeolite minerals and a bridge collapse.

I chose Zeolite as my blogging signature because, as any self-respecting geology dork does, I have a favorite group of minerals and mine are the zeolites. At least the naturally occurring ones, I'm not so into the synthetics which I think are really the only zeolites with large-scale commercial value.

03 August, 2007  
Blogger mothpete said...

Isn't there usually a prophetic mothman around to warn people about these things, or was Richard Gere's Mothman prophesies just a movie? umm yeah, stupid giant mothman.

04 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home