blurp | Science, Art, Life

Monday, August 25, 2008

Quicksand!!




My husband and I found a delightful block of quicksand this weekend along the Mississippi River in St. Paul Park. We were paddling south from Lions Levee Park along the side channel and then wandered into a pristine little cove. In the far back corner amongst the kingfishers and bald eagles was the quicksand. I marked the place on the map below.



Here's how it looks undisturbed:





Then we jumped in!




Quicksand it fun!

I heard from some friends at the National Park Service that this backwater was under a proposal for development = turn it into condos and a marina. That would suck.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tommykey said...

I remember when I was a kid I had this inordinate fear of quicksand because I saw a few movies where some hapless person would drown in one of them.

14 September, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home